} -->

Tuesday 18 September 2012

Legacy Of The Witch By Maggie Shayne


Legacy of the Witch (The Portal, #0.5)

"Once upon a time, there lived three witches…"

As a child, Amarrah loved her grandmother’s stories of three witches who were members of the king’s harem—but they were more than just stories. Amarrah knew she had been there with them…and now their legacy, along with an ancient box that once belonged to them, lies in her hands.

Charged with keeping the box safe, Amarrah is heartbroken when it is stolen from her while she moves to America. Years later, she is shocked to see it on TV and is determined to get it back. Tracking the artifact leads her to Sergeant Harrison Brockson, a handsome soldier who stirs memories of a man she knew centuries ago in ancient Babylon. Is Harrison the key to finding the box—or could he be her destiny?

Prequel novella to Maggie Shayne’s exciting trilogy, "The Portal"
Ren's review:

Legacy of The Witch is the prequel of The Portal series. I know about the new series by Maggie Shayne, since she made a gorgeous website for The Portal. Even made a song for this series. Such a dedication!

As for this novella, I enjoy the story. Its fresh! Love the Babylonian myth and I always love anything that connects to the  Middle Eastern  culture. But then some things bugged me. Such as:

- The 1st POV. I'm not fans of POV. Especially with the PNR genre.
- The destiny and reincarnation things. While I'm okay with the reincarnation, my feeling is a little bit mixed about the destiny part. Don't get me wrong. I love destiny trope, but I can't feel the connection between the heroine , Amarrah and the hero , Harrison Brockson. Yes, they both are reincarnated, but it's the chemistry from the reincarnation? How if Harrom, Amarrah's Babylonians' lover was born into another man? I just can't feel the connection between these two.
- When Amarrah remember her memory in Babylonia era, there's 2 things that bugged me. First, the word "sarong". Is that word exist like 5000-10000 BC? Sarong is a term for clothes from Indonesia (yes, my country!) and Malaysia. Even though people in Arabic peninsula use it, I doubt the word "sarong" already invented thousands year ago. Then when Amarrah called Indira with "Indy". Is the nickname too modern?

Anyway, with the pros and cons, I still enjoyed Legacy of The Witch. And I can't wait to read the first book of The Portal series, Mark of The Witch. Hope the book is better than this :)




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...