} -->

Tuesday 19 June 2012

The Siren by Tiffany Reisz



The Siren is a modern-day retelling of My Fair Lady with uptight English literary fiction editor Zachary Easton as an unwilling Professor Higgins and well-known wild child Nora Sutherlin as his erotica-writing Eliza Doolittle. Zach only has six weeks left at Royal House New York before he heads to Los Angeles to take over as Chief Managing Editor at Royal West. When his boss orders him to help Nora Sutherlin rewrite her latest novel, Zach agrees to work with her only if he is given complete control over the fate of her book. If Nora doesn’t rewrite it to his satisfaction in six weeks, Royal won’t publish it.









 Rhonda's Review:

“ Broken love is the most dangerous love. It will slice you open with every touch.”

After I finished reading this book, I took a couple of days to gather my thoughts on how to review this fantastic book! The blurb sets up the foundation of the story, so I’m going to tell you what the blurb doesn’t.

I was only a few pages into reading this book, and Tiffany Reisz’s brilliant voice settled over me and took me from my world in to the world of Nora Sutherlin. When I wasn’t reading this book, I was thinking about reading this book. This book contains some heavy doses of BDSM, and I don’t mean quantity. The story explores mostly the SM (sadism and masochism) side. Some of these scenes aren’t pretty and I even winced a few times. I assure you that all of the situations in this book go on between consenting adults, and if you like your erotic novels fluffy, and your HEA beautifully gift wrapped, this isn’t the book for you.

The Siren is so rich in its storytelling, and the clever character development. This novel was about so much more than the sex, in fact it was the story behind all the characters and how they all come together, along with Reisz’s writing that captivated me. There are four major players in this story: Nora, Wesley, Soren, and Zachary. All of whom have their own distinct presence and I LOVE each one for different reasons.

I loved Nora, I mean how often do you get to read about a kick ass heroine in a contemporary story. (pun intended) Nora is a professional Dominatrix as well as a writer. She has sexual encounters with male and female characters, there are times when she did things I wish she hadn’t but I enjoyed her witty dialog, and sharp sense of humor. Although she might not always make the best decisions, she has better insight into other people, perhaps more so than herself. Nora left her sadistic lover, Soren five years prior. Soren is into sadism hard core. There were times I couldn’t grasp why Nora would let him do the things he did, Then I got to see a softer side of Soren, see the love he has for Nora. Their story is linked quite a bit with God and religion, and if you have any aversion to religious reference then this book wouldn’t be for you.

Zachary is Nora’s new editor, whose wife left him several months prior to him leaving London for the States to take a job with Royal House Publishing. He still loves his wife very much, and now is dealing with the intense attraction he has for Nora. Wesley…. He is Nora’s nineteen year old “intern”, and he’s just so incredibly sweet I could just bite him! There are also some secondary characters we meet in this story that will carry over into future novels that I am eager to learn more about.

I loved this story so much and not for the reasons one would think. This is not your mainstream erotica, it’s dark, gritty, thought provoking and unlike anything I‘ve read. Reisz digs in to the mind and hearts of her characters and delivered a story that made me laugh, shudder, and cry. If I could give this book more stars I would. The Siren is easily one of my favorite books this year,  and the next book can’t get here fast enough.



 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...